Sunday, May 19, 2013

Getting Started

First and foremost, thank you to my contributors.  Due to a successful IndieGoGo campaign, I'm fully prepared to get started on this project.  So many people have shown such enthusiasm for this idea, that I'm really excited to get this into the hands of those who need it.  A huge source of that enthusiasm has come from Life Labs at United Cerebral Palsy.  They've been extremely supportive and helped add legitimacy to my campaign by throwing their support behind it.  Additionally, they've agreed to help advise me along the way and we're currently working together to get set up with an affiliate who may be able to get me access to a wheelchair for prototyping my designs.  I've been very grateful for their support in this endeavor.

I'm setting up this blog as a means for communicating with those interested in the project as the time goes on.  It will serve as a centralized location for anyone to get updates on the progress of my work, as well as read about the challenges and successes along the way.  Perhaps most importantly, this blog will help me set goals and keep focused on this project.  It can be difficult to stay true to a side project while also balancing work and life, so forcing myself to make weekly posts to this blog will help keep me on track.

Google still has not set a release date for the Explorer edition of Glass for the contest winners, but I'm eagerly waiting on their announcement   In the meantime I've been able to work off of what the other wave of Explorer's have posted and with the code Google has made available.  My first few posts will be just about working on code in anticipation of what we're getting, but hopefully soon I'll be able to work with Glass itself.  I look forward to hearing people's comments and suggestions along the way, and can't wait to start sharing my progress.

2 comments:

  1. Steve, I'm very excited that your funding campaign went so well and that you can now move forward with this project. I am an electric wheelchair user and I'm losing physical strength everyday, so I'm hoping that your wheelchair interface & code combined with Google Glass's technology will make it possible for me to drive my wheelchair with my eyes when my finger no longer can.

    I will be following your posts diligently, and if you ever need feedback or comments concerning the challenges of driving a wheelchair or the intricacies involved, please hit me up as I will help in any way I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Robert. Thanks for the offer. I'm working with UCP's Life Labs now to get access to a wheelchair for testing purposes. Once I'm sure that my application is doing everything it should, it would be great to have people give feedback about the usability. I also just saw your blog post. Thank you for the support. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete