Wednesday, May 29, 2013

May 29th Update

I was hoping to have something more definitive to post this week about getting Glass, but it seems as though I'll have to wait until next week.  The good news is that last Wednesday Google announced that it has begun to send invitations to the contest winners.  They've told us that we will all get our invitation within two weeks from that point, and I've seen many of my fellow Explorers post about getting their invitation already.  I'm looking forward to getting mine.

In the interim, I've also begun to write some eye-tracking code using the OpenCV libraries.  What I've seen so far seems to indicate that this iteration of Glass does not have eye-tracking, so I'll need to modify my pair to perform the necessary functions.  I'm still confident that Google will add this functionality in soon given the patent they issued, and the potential it has to dramatically increase the usability of their hardware.  In the mean time however, I'll get something together that will work well enough for me to have a viable testing environment for the my application to drive the wheelchair.  This will be done by putting an off-the-shelf camera into the neck of Glass and writing my own eye-tracking library with OpenCV.

The OpenCV library is very powerful and has a great community.  Getting working eye-tracking code for a simple camera has proven really straightforward so far.  I hope to have some demos to post soon.

1 comment:

  1. It would be great if u get an invitation im from The Netherlands and iam a wheelchair user it would be so wonderful when i could drive my wheelchair with the eyes. One guestion on the picture off an other site i only see decrease increase and stop but i assume there will also be left and right in it? One other question it will work on wifi or without wifi? I wish u luck and hope u may do it.

    Best regards Bram Wieggers

    ReplyDelete